Car Insurance Costs
- Insuring your car can be a costly experience, especially if you are young and this is your first insurance policy for a vehicle. There are many ways to manage the costs of your car insurance, and ensure that you get the cheapest car insurance suitable for your needs.
- There are three levels of car insurance: Third party, third party fire and theft and fully comprehensive. Third party is the minimum level of insurance required to allow you to legally drive your car on the road, and covers you against damage to other people’s vehicles and your passengers if an accident is your fault. If your car is worth less that £1,500 and you are a young driver this is probably the best option for you. You don’t want to end up paying more than your car is worth in insurance, which could happen if you took out one of the other policies.
- Third party fire and theft protects you from everything that third party insurance does, but includes protection if your car is set fire or if someone steals it. While there will be an increase in costs if choose this option over third party, the costs are usually minimal. It is sometimes a good idea to pay that little bit extra to get the extra cover.
- Fully comprehensive is the third kind of car insurance, and the one that offers the most protection. Obviously, this means it costs more as well. This type of insurance covers damage to your vehicle as well if the accident was your fault. If your car is worth more than £1,500 then fully comprehensive insurance is advised. Other benefits of this type of car insurance are that it covers accidental damage and vandalism, and allows you to drive cars owned by other people (with their permission of course). In this respect, you are covered third party.
- Whatever type of car insurance you choose, it is always worth comparing the costs from your current provider with prices on offer from others.
Comparing your car insurance quotes online is one of the easiest ways to do this. There are sites that can
calculate you car insurance quotes within minutes, finding you the best deal to suit your requirements. You only have to enter your details once and they do the rest for you.
- It is worth remembering little tips to keep the costs down as much as possible on your car insurance. Things like having an alarm fitted, parking your car on a driveway or in a garage and not wildly overestimating on your annual mileage are all things that could help reduce the cost of your car insurance.
- Also, you get a discount for every year of insurance you have without making a claim, up to a maximum of five years.
So the message here is, be safe on the roads to keep you car insurance costs down.